40°47'48.37" N -74°28'53.54" W
Gen. George Washington marched the Continental Army to Morristown and set up winter headquarters there on Jan. 6, 1777. His army had won battles over the British forces in Trenton and Princeton, and the hills that surrounded the camp gave Washington a vantage point to monitor British troops headquartered in New York City. According to History.com, Washington could also protect roads leading from British strongholds in New Jersey to New England — and roads leading to Philadelphia, where the nation had been born six months earlier.
Morristown, the Morris County seat, occupies three square miles about 30 miles west of Manhattan. The first European settlement here was in 1715, on land where the Lenni Lenape had lived for 6,000 years, and was named after Lewis Morris, the first royal governor of the New Jersey colony.
Interstate 287, which forms a crescent around New York, runs to the east of the Green downtown, offering access to Interstates 80 and 78. Route 202, or Mount Kemble Avenue, runs through town, then to the north as Speedwell Avenue. New Jersey Transit has regular service to and from New York as well as to and from points west, including Dover and Hackettstown.
The Morristown Green is ringed by North, South, East and West Park Place. The Green is the site of the Festival on the Green in September and the Christmas Festival, among other activities, including political rallies.
Shops, restaurants, condominiums, and offices surround the Green. South Street, State Route 124, runs to the southeast, toward neighboring Madison, and has many restaurants and the Mayo Performing Arts Center.